My Blog List

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Scootle

Scootle is an on-line environment that provides access to a digital curriculum content, developed by the Learning Federation.  It includes learning objects, images, movies and sound files.  I have used Scootle extensively over the past two years as an exciting and engaging learning tool that provides interactive learning for my students.  I am currently teaching in a school that has an Interactive Whiteboard in each classroom, so I am able to regularly use Scootle as an interactive site for the students to actively become involved.  Initially, I searched for "Energy Sources" in "Science".  It provided me with the Key Learning Objectives, Educational Value, Year Level focus, KLA link, Strand in Science, linking topics, the student activities involved.  When the students moved their search to renewable energy sources for their model, I too changed my search to "renewable Energy" in "Science".

I was attempting to discover creative ways in which I could improve my students questioning skills.  I've always fround that a visual stimulus generally is more effective to engage students interest.  Using Scootle assists me to initially engage students interest in the topic and then I attempt to encourage students to develop appropriate questions from what they have seen or heard.  As educators and students wind their way through the world of Information technologies, we are reminded by McKenzie, (2005), that 'questions and questioning may be the most powerful technologies of all.'

Years ago when I first studied to be a teacher I learnt about Bloom's Taxonomy.  It's interesting to note that this model is still used extensively today to ensure educators are providing the opportunity for students to develop higher level thinking skills.  This is achieved by developing efficient questioning skills.


The Year 7 students I am teaching are moving into the higher order thinking skills.  Developing appropriate questions when involving themselves in this science inquiry was an important focus, particularly when building their model of a renewable energy source.  Throughout this process I have found myself questioning what I am doing to ensure the unit is valuable for my students.  I am conscious of the importance of catering for the different levels of students and provide opportunities for them to move beyond their comfort zone to ensure confident, life-long learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment